How To Get Here
The major gateway to Banff is Calgary International Airport (YYC). Coaches and vans operate from the airport directly to Banff Park Lodge (see link below to book the Airporter service). All major rental car companies are available at the airport. Car rental is available in Banff, but advance rental booking is recommended.
Driving instructions from the Calgary International Airport.
The total driving distance is approximate 145 kilometers / 90 miles. You should plan for an estimated driving time of 2 hours, pending road and weather conditions. Please drive carefully, watch out for wildlife on the road and obey all driving warnings, speed limits, etc.
Note - these driving instructions to Banff Park Lodge are new as of June 2011 over the new citywide ring road. Your GPS may not have the current route yet. Please drive carefully.
- 1. When you leave the Calgary International Airport, turn left at the first traffic light onto Barlow Trail North;
- 2. In about 1 kilometer turn left at the first traffic light onto Calgary Trail West;
- 3. After about 3 kilometers turn right onto Deerfoot Trail North (also Highway 2 North);
- 4. After about 8 kilometers take exit on your right onto Stoney Trail West (new ring road - may not be on your GPS yet);
- 5. Follow Stoney Trail West until you approach Highway 1 at the west end of Calgary.
- 6. Follow Highway 1 West towards the mountains until you have passed the town of Canmore in about 90 kilometers;
- 7. You will be required to stop at the Banff National Park gates and obtain a valid park pass;
- 8. After the park gates keep following Highway 1 West;
- 9. Take the second exit into Banff. This exit is called Banff / Mount Norquay. At the end of the exit, turn left and cross over the highway. Speed is now only 50 kilometers per hour;
- 10. After crossing the train tracks and passing the hospital on your right, you will find the Banff Park Lodge after the first traffic light on your right hand side;
- 11. Please proceed to the main entrance for registration and parking information.